Thursday, July 2, 2015

Style Muse: Mariana


Meet Mariana! 

This gal has been giving me style goosebumps since fifth grade. Mariana was always the friend in the group to do everything first. I remember her getting those red little feather extensions in her hair when we were 15, and I was like, "AAAHHHHH so cool!!!" And then she started wearing Birkenstocks again, and at first I was like, "Uhhhhhhhhh..." and now I'm like, "Uh, where do I get a pair?" We've been through a lot, we even started a fashion club at our high school our sophomore year, that lasted until we graduated. She's extremely smart, creative, and hilarious. My favorite vegan Brazilian in the whole world. 

I love that Mariana always looks comfortable in her own skin. And just plain comfortable - ready for an adventure or a cartwheel. At the same time, pulled together by working proportions and colors. She always rocks her accessories, every time I see her she has necklaces, bracelets, rings, aannnd earrings. What I've noticed is that each piece is small and delicate, with the exception of one or two more dramatic ones. I would love to incorporate these element into my own look. 

Here's what she had to say about her style: 

How do you describe your style? My friends describe it as "hippy" which basically means Birkenstocks, dresses, flow-y pants, and all those kinds of comfy things I can chill in. Can't chill in jeans, so over those right now. Since going to college I gravitate more towards outfits that are cute but also comfortable since I have to walk a lot to get around campus.

When running low on time, what is your go-to look? In a hurry I'll throw on a dress because they make you look put together but with minimal effort on my part. Secretly inside I'm thinking "I hate pants-this dress is so comfortable."

Where are your favorite places to shop? Free People is hands down my favorite store but I only shop in their sale section. Urban Outfitters is definitely another favorite especially because all their stores are great- I spend hours in there browsing and reading books. Other than that I get my clothes from various different sale sections.

What are your 3 favorite pieces in your wardrobe? My Birkenstocks, super-soft striped long-sleeve shirt, and my lace bras - so over regular bras right now.

What parts of your life dictate how you dress? Since moving to San Diego, the warm weather plays a role in how I dress. I'm able to get away with wearing shorts and sandals most days of the year, which I am more than loving! Comfort is also very important since most of my days involve walking to classes or sitting the library studying.


Comfort or fashion? Comfortable fashion! It's totally thing and I'm all about it.

Who do you dress for? Like everything else I do, I dress for myself!

What do you wear that makes you feel the most beautiful? I feel the most beautiful in a flow-y dress, hair down, with some dark lipstick on.

Are there any challenges you face when shopping or building your wardrobe and if so, how do you tackle them? My biggest challenge in building my wardrobe is being selective with what I buy. I already have waaay too much clothes (I struggled to fit it all in my tiny dorm room) and every day I'm tempted by more cute items. So now I'm working on decreasing the number of items I own in order to appreciate the clothes I already have. Other than that my challenge is buying clothing from companies I know are cruelty-free and are honest businesses. A lot of popular, cheap clothing stores are huge corporations that will do anything in order to increase their profits.

In your eyes, what are 5 wardrobe staples every girl should own no matter what? Of course a LBD, casual or fancy, that you can always count on. A cute, comfy cardigan to throw on when you need more coverage. A pair of sandals that can be worm casually or dressed up when needed. Black
pants- I have a pair of black jeans from Lucky Brand that are a staple in my closet! Another dress, this one maybe more exotic or colorful that makes you feel confident and puts you in a good mood. Sixth item - DIY tie dye shirt because I love all things tie dye and if nothing they make the best pajams! 


 Shoes that are recycled and eco-friendly! 

Thanks Mariana! 

No comments:

Post a Comment