Thursday, July 16, 2015

Style Muse: Kayla



Here's Kayla! 

I met this gal at work a few years back and was completely drawn to her sweet, bubbly spirit! As we became friends, I was more and more obsessed with her look which to me was the perfect classy and playful girl. Kayla really has her look down, and always looks like Kayla! What I mean is that wherever she goes, she defines her style with her special touches like proportions and accessories that are so her. Her look reminds me of Kate Spade in the ways of wit and playfull-ness, but but also very lady-like. 

Kayla is super cool and is interning for a glam, lifestyle blog in Texas. In her spare time, she as a killer (clean, beautiful, sophisticated are all better adjectives) Instagram that I drool over. Like Kayla, it's witty, colorful, and makes you smile! >>>@kaylahaykin 


Here's what Kayla had to say when I asked her about the bones of her style: 

How do you describe your style? Feminine, playful, and retro! 


When running low on time, what is your go-to look? I love anything that I can throw together that is easy & one piece!  Especially a jumper. 


Where are your favorite places to shop? Absolute favorites: And Other Stories, Zara, Madewell, & Asos! 


What are your 3 favorite pieces in your wardrobe? They probably change everyday depending on my mood! Currently I am loving my vintage denim skirt, my favorite necklace by Emily Green, and a sparkly romper I snagged last summer at Zara. 


What parts of your life dictate how you dress? I wouldn't say I have rules for the way I dress. Mostly, I like to dress on theme and create a character for the places I go. On a big test day, I'll wear a blazer and go for that girl boss/Harvard look. If we are painting at work, I'm in overalls. During a photoshoot, I'll try to fit the theme of our vision. If I can dress for a mood, I can also set the mood. 


Comfort or fashion? FASHION! Of course.




Who do you dress for? Definitely myself and other girls. I mean, who doesn't like compliments? I really think dressing can set the tone of the day. Sometimes on Sundays, when I know I have a long day of laundry and homework ahead, I'll put on lipstick and sunglasses in the house. My roommates think I'm strange, but dressing up just makes me feel better. 

What do you wear that makes you feel the most beautiful? Definitely heels. Because I'm so short, it's such a nice change to be normal sized. :)


Are there any challenges you face when shopping or building your wardrobe and if so, how do you tackle them? When I buy something I usually ask myself two questions: "What will I wear this with that I already own?" "If I saw this on someone else would I do a double take/ really notice it?" I think my biggest struggle is just deciding where and when to spend. I want to build my closet with unique, eye- catching pieces. But I still want them to be universal enough to mix and match. 


In your eyes, what are 5 wardrobe staples every girl should own no matter what? 

1. A great pair of jeans that make your *behind* look AWESOME. 
2. Some type of nude flat or sandal - I wear mine from Gap almost everyday!
3. A great white shirt that you can pair with a midi skirt, crisp jeans, or overalls.
4. FLAIR FLAIR FLAIR. Pins, shoe clips, and vintage hair pieces. Anything unique that is going to make you stand apart from the girl standing next to you.
5. A beautiful colored coat that fits you super well. Camel or pastel is preferred!
 Is a style quote you live by? I feel like people are constantly worried that they can't pull something off. To me, it's simple- IF YOU LIKE IT, WEAR IT! 



Thanks Kayla!!

No comments:

Post a Comment