Saturday, February 7, 2015

First Cut is the Deepest Sweatshirt

   
      
    
 

Since starting college, I've had to wake up at (before) the crack of dawn to commute to school, so I have grown fond of comfort. I would be more than happy to get on the train wearing my pajama set with the donuts on them. Yet, the fact that I am majoring in Fashion Design and that my classmates are always so put together, has inspired me to not completely give up. I got this basic gray Hanes sweatshirt at a thrift shop and decided it needed a cut. Opportunity grasped! For the overlaying fabrics, I chose prints that were different in scale (large on the top arrow, medium, for the pink and white fabric, and small in the center triangle) but all had the same tone, or vibrancy of color. I cut out the sweatshirt and used the pieces as my patterns for the printed fabrics; leaving a 1/2 seam allowance. Once everything was cut out, I topstitched the prints to the original sweatshirt pieces. Finally, I sewed the puzzle back together on the printed seam allowance. This way I could have the impact of the prints and maintain the coziness of the sweatshirt. I love the way it turned out and can't wait to create another one! May the cozy be with you friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment